About The Lizard Lifeboat…
There have been RNLI lifeboats at The Lizard since 1859.
From 1867 until 1963 there was also a lifeboat at Cadgwith, a few miles east along the coast.
The first lifeboat station was at the most southerly point, Polpeor, and in 1885 another station was built at nearby Church Cove, a mile or so to the east. That station closed in 1899 but the Polpeor station continued right through until 1961. Meanwhile a Cadgwith station was opened in 1867 and remained in action until 1963.
When the previous boathouse at Kilcobben opened in 1961, the station became known as The Lizard Cadgwith Lifeboat Station. The name was officially changed in 1987 to its present The Lizard Lifeboat Station.
A series of boats have served the stations over the years, ranging from the original £135, six-oared, 30ft Anna Maria in 1859 to the £550,000, 47ft (14.3 metres) twin-engined
David Robinson, to the present £2.7m Tamar class all-weather lifeboat 53ft (16.3metres), RNLB Rose.
Slipway Launched Tamar class all-weather lifeboat Rose.
Length: 16.3 metres
Beam: 5.3 metres
Draught: 1.4 metres
Displacement: 32 tonnes
Engines: 2 x Caterpillar C18 marine diesel 1,001hp each at 2,300rpm
Max speed: 25 knots
Range/endurance: 250 nautical miles
Crew number: 7
Survivor capacity: self righting: 44
Non self righting: 118
The Tamar is fitted with an integrated electronics Systems and Information Management
System (SIMS) designed to offer her crew the ability to monitor, operate and control many of the boat’s systems directly from the safety of their shock-mitigating seats.
The Tamar carries a Y boat, an inflatable daughter boat housed under the aft deck and deployed from a hinged door in the transom. The Y boat has a 15hp outboard engine and is used in moderate conditions to access areas the lifeboat cannot reach.